Risotto is one of my favorite dishes. But the sad truth is that it’s only truly delicious when it is first made.
Or is it?
Recently, I quickly transformed some well-chilled leftover mushroom, spinach and pepper risotto . . .
. . . into some crisp and tasty baked risotto cakes to accompany a fresh green salad for a healthy weeknight dinner.
You’ve probably seen plenty of recipes for fried risotto cakes . . . but I chose to bake mine to lower the calorie count and reduce the fat.
I used one fresh egg to get the crisp panko coating to stick . . .
. . . and dredged my risotto cakes in Ian’s Gluten-Free Panko. (I also did a few with just sesame seeds, to see how I liked that option.)
Bake them on a rimmed baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes (carefully turning once, about half-way through the baking time).
Make your fresh green salad while they are baking, along with your own homemade vinaigrette. What an incredibly easy solution for leftover risotto!
- 1 egg
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- ½-3/4 cup Ian's Gluten-Free Panko (or use raw sesame seeds, if you prefer)
- 2 cups leftover risotto (well chilled)
- Preheat the over to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with no stick aluminum foil.
- Set up your work station next to the baking sheet. You'll need a plate and two shallow bowls. Crack the egg in one bowl and lightly beat the egg, adding a little sea salt and pepper. Put the panko (or the sesame seeds) in the other shallow bowl.
- Using a ¼ cup scoop or measuring cup that has been lightly coated with an olive oil spray, pack it with risotto. Then put the scoops of packed risotto onto a plate, and flatten slightly to make small patties.
- Dredge each patty in egg, and then in the panko (or sesame seeds) and place on the aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then carefully turn and bake for another 15 minutes. (if they aren't brown enough on top for you, you can either leave them in for another 5 minutes, or turn on the broiler for a minute or two.)
- Serve with a healthy green salad for a simple and delicious weeknight meal!
All Rights Reserved.