I’ve made a lot of batches of meatless chili. In fact, my Mexican Black Bean Chili is one of my most requested recipes from Fool a Carnivore.
Nothing prepared us for the beefy wallop of Beyond Meat Beef-Free Feisty Crumbles.
In fact, my carnivore husband took his first taste and had just two words: “Nailed it!”
Not only did this fabulous product make my chili taste more beefy, these vegan crumbles are both gluten-free and soy-free, a virtual rarity in the world of plant-based proteins.
I choose the feisty version because Bill loves spicy food, but I think my recipe would work equally well with the Beyond Meat Beef-Free Beefy Crumbles for those who like to walk on the mild side.
Sometimes vegetarians take themselves way too seriously, so you gotta love a company with a sense of humor. Beyond Meat’s “cover cow” is made out of green peas (the product’s main protein source) and the company’s tag line for this tasty new product line is “TASTES, CHEWS AND SATISFIES LIKE BEEF – WITHOUT THE BULL“!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (optional)
- 1 large red or green pepper, chopped into small ½-inch squares (1 cup of chopped peppers)
- 16-ounce can organic black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 16-ounce can organic pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 16-ounce can organic dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 16-ounce jar salsa, mild or medium
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup V8 juice, low sodium (up to 2 cups if you like a less dense chili)
- 1 cup frozen organic yellow corn kernels
- 11-ounce package Beyond Meat Beef-Free Feisty Crumbles
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Monterrey Jack or pepper Jack, grated (optional)
- Heat a large skillet and add olive oil. Sauté onion for 5–6 minutes over medium heat. Add the bell pepper pieces and sauté for another 3–4 minutes. If you’re using garlic, add it in the last minute, and turn the heat down a bit so that it doesn’t burn.
- While your onions and pepper are cooking, lightly oil your slow cooker or line it with a liner. Put in the rinsed black beans, the jar of salsa, tomatoes, and the V8 juice. Then add the sautéed onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook on low for 3–5 hours, adding more salsa or V8 if needed. (I used 4 hours below because the recipe app won't allow me to put in a range!!)
- About 10-15 minutes before you are eating, add the frozen corn kernels, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the Beyond Meat Beef-Free Crumbles and cook for 10 minutes if they are frozen or 5 minutes if they are partially thawed. Honestly – that’s all the time it takes to cook the crumbles! Taste and adjust seasoning, and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with with optional grated Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese, accompanied by some crisp tortilla chips, salsa, and guacamole.